'Tis the Season for Self-Care
The holiday season is here...a blizzard-like blur of social gatherings, decadent food, endless shopping lists, excessive spending and family obligations. The familiar fallout? Stress, weight gain, credit card debt and guilt. This year why not choose a more balanced approach?
10 ways to create more balance this season:
- Add YOU to your daily calendar. Bookend your days with self-care. Add yoga, massage, meditation, etc. Make self-care a priority each morning and evening, even if it's for a short period of time.
- Practice the art of saying no. Are you in the habit of saying yes to please others or avoid guilt? Pause and think about your feelings and what you really want. Follow your heart, align your actions and let the guilt go!
- Spend time with positive, uplifting people who raise your vibe. If you have to be around someone who drains your energy find a way to make it more enjoyable and activity based.
- Forgo the gifts and share heartfelt experiences with your loved ones instead. Prevent overspending and enjoy the gift of being together.
- Let go of family drama! You can't control other people, but you can control your reactions. Be the change you seek in others.
- No gossiping! Did you know that negative, stressful thoughts can also change the biochemistry of your brain, releasing cortisol? High levels can weaken your immune system, promote weight gain and more.
- De-stress with 'zen on demand'. Explore a meditation APP like Calm, Insight Timer, Headspace, Ten Percent Happier or Simple Habit to quiet your mind and get centered.
- Create healthy boundaries with your smartphone. Constant use can increase stress so set a daily limit. For better sleep, unwind with a good book instead. Smartphones emit blue light and too much exposure can disrupt your natural sleeping patterns, making it harder to get REM sleep. This will leave you feeling tired in the morning. So, keep your phone outside your bedroom and use a real alarm clock. Start your day refreshed!
- Get outside! Even if it's cold, bundle up and go for a short walk or hike. Spending time outside can help you sleep better, reduce stress and stimulate your immune system. Give yourself a boost!
- Pay attention to your thoughts and be mindful of negative self-talk. When you catch yourself having a negative thought explore a different perspective. Did your friend not text you because he doesn't like you or is it possible, he's just busy? No one is harder on you than you. Be loving to yourself!